Procedures in the event of First Aid
- Call for assistance
- Ring 999 or 112
- Explain accident and injury to child
- The person speaking to you will ask:-
- Are they conscious?
- Can they breathe?
- Can they talk to you?
- Patients name and date of birth.
- The person speaking to you will then make an assessment and then either:
- Send an ambulance immediately
If it is not life threatening, either an ambulance or a first aid responser will be there within 60 minutes.
- For the patient:-
- Reassure them they are okay
- Nil by mouth
- Keep still, do not move them, cover with blanket.
If their condition worsens ring 999 or 112 back.
Contact parents at some point during the above procedure.
If a child needs to go to hospital then always contact 999 or 112 for advice.
If transport by staff car then gain consent from parent/carer first – 2 witnesses to consent given and recorded.